By Abdel Razek Shewkhy
The Ministry of Tourism announced a programme Monday to entice tourists from Saudi Arabia, United Arab of Emirates, and Kuwait to visit Hurghada .
Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou said the programme, which will kick off 20 May, will provide the tourists coming from the three countries exclusive offers starting from $400, including the plane ticket, accommodation for three nights in the most luxurious resorts and hotels in Sharm El-Sheikh and Hurghada.
The programme is part of “Wahshtoona” (We miss you), a programme that attempts to encourage tourism from Arab Countries, the minister said in a statement issued Monday.
Zaazou attended the Arabian Travel Market Exhibition in Dubai Monday. Nearly 3,000 people from 83 countries participated in the exhibition at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre, which included 40 educational seminars and discussion panels on the challenges and opportunities facing the tourism and travel industry in the area.
In the last three years, 20% of Egypt’s tourists have come from Arab countries.
The number of tourists visiting Egypt dropped to 1.8 million last year after hitting 2.3 million in 2012 as a result of political unrest following the 3 July ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi.
Tourism generated $ 5.9bn in revenue in 2013, which is a 41% decline from 2012.
Adela Ragab, an economic adviser for the Minister of Tourism, said the campaign will kick off in Hurghada and then move on to Sharm El-Sheikh.
The Ministry of Tourism has signed an agreement with Air Cairo and EgyptAir Express to launch two flights a week to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Air Cairo will also launch flights from Kuwait to Hurghada twice a week.