Protest leaders have suspended their massive civil disobedience after three days of starting a political strike that demanded handing over power to a civilian government.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF) announced that it temporarily called off its general strike to ‘reorder situations’ and to ensure that resistance will continue effectively. in a massive and strong manner.
“The civil disobedience which impressively succeeded is a remarkable sign within a path that will continue until the power is handed to civilians based on the declaration of freedom and change that we agreed on,” the DFCF tweeted on Tuesday.
The DFCF revealed that they have been engaging in a series of meetings on the possible political path of Sudan.
Meanwhile, Ethiopian special envoy and mediator, Mahmoud Dirir, disclosed that protest groups and the Sudanese Transitional Military Council (TMC) agreed on the formation of a transitional council, according to Reuters.
Talks were suspended between protest leaders and military generals after a bloody dispersal of their sit-in last Monday.
However, the protest group accuses the military council of threatening workers committed to the general strike by firing them from work or arresting them. The opposition alliance described a committee formed by the ruling military council to investigate the dispersal of the Khartoum sit-in as “a lie,” and an attempt to wriggle out of “its crime.”
Earlier on Monday, the ruling military council announced the formation of a joint committee to investigate the dispersal of the sit-ins that were held outside the military headquarters in Khartoum. It claimed that initial findings suggest there were a number of regime forces which are now held under the military’s custody.
On the other hand, the United States Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, Tibor Nagy, arrived on Wednesday in Sudan to participate in talks between protest groups and the ruling military council.
The US Department of State said earlier that Nagy will call for a cessation of attacks against civilians and urge parties to work toward creating an enabling environment between the opposition alliance and military generals so talks can be resumed.
Last week, Sudan’s security forces stormed the Khartoum sit-in. Dozens were killed and hundreds were wounded. Protest leaders accused a militia belonging to the military council of killing protesters in the bloody dispersal.
According to the Central committee of Sudan doctors (CCSD), 118 people were killed since last Monday and four of them were killed on the first day of the civil disobedience. It also added that 40 of the casualties were allegedly retrieved from the Nile river. Regardless, the Sudanese Ministry of Health said that only 46 people were killed that Monday.