A hotline for tourism sector workers to register complaints about unfair dismissal is to be set up, Khaled El-Anany, Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, announced on Tuesday. He added that his Ministry is working in cooperation with the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology on the project.
“I will not use the spirit of the law. I will use the maximum possible measure to take benefit of the law in this regard,” he said in a statement to local media.
El-Anany said the ministerial committee for tourism affairs, headed by Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, will meet on Wednesday to discuss a package of measures in support of tourism investors.
Tamer Nabil, Secretary General of the Tourism Investors Association in Red Sea and member of the Egyptian Hotel Association (EHA), told Daily News Egypt earlier that all concerned tourism bodies cooperated to make a list of demands that was submitted to the committee.
Among these demands is that the state bears part of the tourism workers’ salaries through allocating part of the EGP 100bn emergency fund for them, Nabil said. This would be in addition to cutting electricity prices for tourism facilities, as has been applied to industrial facilities.
On Monday, El-Anany chaired a meeting of the Crisis and Risk Management Committee in the tourism sector on Monday, to dicuss the repercussions of the emerging coronavirus on the sector.
The committee stressed, in coordination with the EHA and Chamber of Tourism Establishments, the urgent need to put in place solutions for the problems of workers in the sector. The move would ensure no redundancies, and for workers obtain all their rights and financial entitlements on a regular basis.